Sunday 22 February 2009

WELCOME! ITS BEEN 12 PLANTING SEASONS SO FAR!

Trees for Thanet Projects Map
. (Click on map and all photographs for enlarged detail)

What it's all for!
A one year old hedge with a 6m headland full of insect life and short-tailed voles, being used as a permissive bridleway by horse-riders on the left, with a potato main crop being grown. On the right barley growing right up to a narrow verge. (Manston Road - June 2007).
.
The Trees for Thanet Group began in 1996 and has now involved over 300 young people from around Thanet in planting hedgerows and trees. We have been altering the look of lanes between Birchington and Manston for 12 planting seasons and collecting tons of rubbish.The aim was to to restore old hedges and create improved habitat for wild-life in an area under intense cultivation right up to road verges.
.
With the help of Quex Park and other sponsors and a great deal of hard work by young people, these aims are being achieved.The aim of this blog is to provide a history of the past 13 years and to keep anyone who is interested, updated on what is going on now.
.
The map above shows most of the sites referred to in each item but does not include the Trees for Thanet Projects in Broadstairs and Manston.

7 comments:

Stop the loonies said...

And an excellent job you are doing to, i have added you to my favorite blogs.

Amy Jones said...

Thanks for the kind words. We are sorry that we haven't up-dated as regularly as we should.

Unknown said...

Hello Amy,

Sounds like you have been very busy. My name is Mike Phillips and I work for British Trust for Conservation Volunteers (BTCV). I have just statred working with Dane Valley Woods in Margate and would be interested to see if there are any ways that we could work together. It would be great if you could e-mail me at M.Phillips@btcv.org.uk

Thanks

Mike

Don Wood said...

Hi Amy well done with all your work often wondered about the hedges and now I know, I would love the council to put up nest boxes in some of our parks

LarryS said...

This is great to see! As a lover of trees I had to follow!
I have a tree blog myself

Don Wood said...

any updates Amy?

WildCordingley said...

Hey - I'd be interested in talking to you more about you work Amy. If you receive this could you drop me your email to michaelcordingley@hotmail.com - thanks, Mike